HALLOWEEN TOFFEE APPLES
For this tasty Halloween treat, you will need:
- 4 Apples (any variety, but granny smith are good)
- 200g golden caster sugar
- 50ml water
- 1 tablespoon of Natural Umber ACV (any vinegar works but Natural Umber enhances the apple flavour!)
- 2 tablespoons of golden syrup
- Toppings ideas: Chopped almonds, sprinkles, chocolate chips, mini-marshmallows, candy eyes.
Put the apples in a bowl and cover with hot water to remove the waxy coating and help the toffee to stick properly.
Dry the apples and pull off the stalks, then push in a lolly pop stick or wooden skewer. Lay the apples on baking parchment while you make the toffee .
Tip the sugar into a pan and add the water, set the pan over a medium heat and watch carefully as the sugar dissolves, for about 5 minutes. Stir in the vinegar and syrup and let it simmer a minute before removing from the heat.
If you can, set a sugar thermometer for 150 degrees. If you don’t have a sugar thermometer, place a drop of the toffee into cold water. If the toffee hardens, it’s ready to use.
Working carefully, take each apple and twist it in the hot toffee and let any excess drip off. Dip the apples in the toppings while the toffee is still sticky. You can heat the toffee up again if it starts to harden.
Leave aside on parchment paper to harden, and enjoy!
Can be made up to 2 days in advance and stored in a cool, dry place.
Cleaning tip: To remove the toffee from the saucepan, gently warm some water in the pan in batches, so the sugar dissolves in the water and can be disposed of.
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.
- Press the space key then arrow keys to make a selection.